Monday, November 25, 2013

Sir Madness Monday

Today was the dreaded day; Monday. As I lay in bed and the frosty air bit my nose and cheeks, I was in a complete state of nothingness. Until a great loud BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG sounded from upstairs. I flinched with each gun shot and sighed to myself. How many times have I told Kevan NOT to shoot his pistol inside the house? I rolled out of bed and onto the carpeted floor. I knew it was probably dirty as heck down there, but there's something satisfying about stretching in the sunbeams on a Monday morning. Obviously I'd prefer a Sunday, but beggars can't be choosers. 
"Kevan-dear, what's the matter this time?" I said as I pushed my reading glasses up my nose and peered at him over the morning paper when he flounced down across the table from me. 
"Bored," he grumbled. I sat still for a moment, lost in thought and wondered how I might cheer him up. 
"Kevan. I was hoping we might go for a walk by the seaside at the breakwater. It's quite windy out and the waves will be nice and high. Maybe we'll hear from Sir Madness later," I said quite earnestly. 
"As you wish," Kevan conceded with a smile peaking out of the corner of his russet moustache. I hid my own smile beneath the rustling newspaper. Whenever Kevan quoted Princess Bride I always knew things were on the up and up. It was a sure sign. After we bought The Station we'd met a curious individual who taught us many things about the science of deduction. We never did catch his name, but I must say he was one handsome individual. We simply refer to him as Sir Madness. Kevan pulled on his flannel jacket as I laced up my boots and scavenged for a scarf amongst the coat hooks lined against the wall. Once we reached the gate Kevan turned to me with a somber look on his face and said, "Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. Because they were holding on to something... There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for.” And with that he strode onto the great stone wall that stood out in the middle of the shore line, waves breaking and spraying heavenwards. It was one of those moments when the natural elements of the world coincided perfectly with a movie scene which could be conjured up with a few simple lines. I chuckled to myself as I hurried to catch up with him. However, halfway down the wall there was yellow tape and a crowd of police officers we hadn't been able to see from the shore.
"Kevan, Hannah, how good to see you again." Said a tall man in a black trenchcoat. He had his back to us and his collar turned up against the wind.
"Oh hello again!" Kevan replied, surprised to see Sir Madness out here on this blustery day in November. I was again struck speechless at the site of his magnificent face. Kevan elbowed me gently knowing how very little tact I had when it came to attractive people and most of all Sir Madness. 
"Um, Yes. Hello!" I stammered as I took a step forward to shake his hand, which he held out to me. Or I would have had I not then tripped. Everything went cold and dark.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment